Friday, September 08, 2006

Return to Greek reality


Brunner Lake - New Zealand

Reality... now there's a concept.

I had a fantastic reality as I went "down under" for the first time for a much needed and long awaited holiday. Life was very good - as is evidenced by the photo above.

The plan was simple.

Stay a couple of weeks with some friends. Visit some interesting places. And just plain old relax.

Success. I had a great holiday. Perhaps the best of my life. So, heavy hearted I boarded the plane to return to my adopted land.

After a long, long flight and being recognized in Bangkok by a former student (yes it really is a small world) I landed in Athens.

Now, most people think that Athens has a modern airport. Most people are wrong.

On a scale of 1-10 for efficiency and organization I would have to give it a 5 and 2 respectively.

What is it with the inability to organize even the simplest of things in this country? Oh, I know what you are thinking, we organized the Olympics, the greatest ever - blah, blah, blah, and you actually believe what you say.

But, get this...one success does not negate the everyday madness that this country swirls in. Take a trip outside of Greece and return to Athens (as I have done many times) to see what I mean.

Olympic airways should have been closed long ago. This is just a plain fact. Like the nose on your face.

While waiting for my transfer from Athens to Thessaloniki - there was absolute chaos. There were no divider lines. Each of the four windows had three lines of travelers and bags trying to push and shove their way to the counter. Once there, the attendant shouted out that the flight to London was closing and anyone in line going to London should come up to the front.

So, naturally, everyone in the back of the crowded line with bags and children and short tempers came crashing through the mass of humanity to claim their seat on a flight to London.

What a mess!

With that - the best vacation I ever had come to an abrupt halt.

I was back to the Greek reality.


Greekacious = a displeasing situation encountered at the Athens airport.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great!
Valentines Day Gifts

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home